Tuesday, November 29, 2005

A Typical Morning

The sun rose quite slowly (more than what seems to be normal) over these Alabama fields this morning. It seemed as if we were going to have to live another wet day in the south, but as the clock did what it does best, we found a wonderful, mid-fall day with plenty of that deceptive sunshine which only looks like it gives warmth on days like these.

I think I've discovered that just-above-freezing temperatures can seem as slightly more chilling than if it were 32 on the nose. I guess that's because we are fooled by the "above-freezing" status and wear a bit less out. (Anything below 50 degrees does seem to fortify the flavor(s) of our coffee though,doesn't it?) I speak as if an Alabamian would ever even need to compare parka prices. A cold front comes through dropping the typical fall temperature of 60-65 degress down to 40 degrees and they're letting schools out early and salting sidewalks!

I really do believe this to be the reason the people down here are not necessarily as educated as students in the north. It has nothing to do with the quality of educators (over half of the professors in my department at the University were trained in Indiana!) or the capability of southern children to learn. The poor kids simply aren't in class as often! I've seen class dismissals here more than I ever thought possible!

Too, you can make more money off of the stock prices in bread and milk than Martha Stewart ever dreamed just by watching the good ol' Weather Channel! If a storm's a-brewin', the lines are long! And, why in the world we choose bread and milk to be our staples of survival may forever escape me. Other than as ingredients, we rarely combine the two in any meal purposefully! They are quite possibly the two most perishable products at any given grocery store! I guess that will have to be another post.

I hope this finds you all at least having days which, at worst, need not to be recalled.

1 comment:

kelly said...

Oh please, oh please, now talk about milk and bread. That paragraph made me laugh out loud.