Wednesday, December 21, 2005

Jackie Chan, Quartets, and Relationships

The following is an excerpt from my book in progress entitled "the Real world:"

"My Dad, my brother and I used to be big Jackie Chan fans. We loved the fight scenes and the fact that plot was never really all that good which meant that our brains could be left alone for almost two hours. If you didn’t pay attention, though, you would miss that one move he would make in every scene which might go by so fast that you don’t notice it, but if you did you were amazed at his precision and speed. We would look for it in the previews, we scoured the theater screen for it, and when we rented it, we would keep the remote in hand and replay it over and over again at varying speeds. Sometimes we would even attempt the move ourselves with devastating effects.

"What we saw, however, was the good take. We saw the time he actually moved so smoothly that they could keep it and distribute it to the entire world to be analyzed behind buttery popcorn. Who knows how many times he had to re-hash and re-do each kick and jab in order to perfect the scene.

"I loved the fact that he did his own stunts. So many actors just won’t do that anymore, and I must say that if I were in their shoes and knew that my body and my ability to make another movie was my ability to make money in general, then I would probably desire a six foot, bald guy to pretend like he was me, too.

"The acting in these movies was never that great, but the actors who played the villains were incredible at making you hate their character. I despised them. It was usually the leader of some gang who was terrorizing a neighborhood or a family, or some money hungry drug lord who hated Jackie’s character with extreme passion. I loved to see this character step to Jackie without any thought that he would lose, and Jackie would clean the floor with the guy. Yes, I know its all violent sounding, but the truth is – that’s just plain appealing to a guy!

"What I loved most about these movies, however, were the credits. It was here that the viewers got to see the cast in a very real state: missing lines, screwing up the blocking, and, my favorite part, messing up in the action sequences. I know that sounds a little sick on my part, but I liked it for a different reason than what appears on the surface. I liked seeing how quickly those outside the frame would come to his aid. Gasps and shouts were heard, all the technical equipment was visible, and the cast and crew shot to his side. It made the people and the situation descend to a more real level than what the perfected and polished final product seemed.

"I especially liked to see one particular person with a look of compassion on his face – the guy who played the villain. They could be in a heated argument or an all-out scuffle, and when Jackie got hurt, even the bad guy wanted to make sure he was okay. You could hear the pain in his voice as he attempted to be sure that his co-star was fine or at least coherent. I loved that. It provided resolution, or reconciliation even. It told me that these guys were really friends and that in the end, they weren’t really mad; they were just playing a part.

"It’s a lot like listening to a quartet sing. As their song comes to a conclusion and we’re all waiting on the big finish, they come to the last chord and the baritone and bass move to it quickly while the lead and the tenor hang out one chord back for what seems to be an hour just milking the moment for every penny. When they finally settle in with the other two who have been patiently waiting, the entire audience is relieved and may at last scoot back in their seats.

"That’s exactly what I feel in the Chan outtakes. It didn’t matter how horrible the acting was, just like it didn’t matter how poorly the quartet’s song was sung, when the resolve comes, I feel just fine about everyone in the song and the film. When the bad guy jumps to his side, the chord completes. When a movie doesn’t end with outtakes like Jackie Chan’s movies do, I feel a lot like the quartet never resolved; like if I ever saw the actor who played the villain on the street, then I would be forced by duty to pull a little Chan on him myself. I hate that. I hate it because I can’t really see the man in another film, especially as the good guy, without thinking of the horrible things he did in the last one. It’s like he’s now forced to be bad in every situation. I’m pretty sure this is what leads to the ever-dreaded typecasting.

"I think this is why I like reconciliation so much in relationships. I’m pretty sure I like it more than seeing someone “get saved,” be restored, or be baptized. I mean, I love that stuff as well. There’s nothing greater than when someone else joins the family – like the birth of a child. Still, when two family members who couldn’t get along before make up and mend their brokenness, I like that better than the birth. That’s what really attracts people to our Father. That’s the stuff that causes more births. That’s the stuff that proves beyond doubt that Jesus works. The lost most likely haven’t seen anything quite like that before, and when they see that, when they see our love and how it heals even the deepest most purposefully caused wounds, they’ll be curious."

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

hey man i still love to watch jakie occationaly ill even watch the little cartoon jackie makes its not bad my favorite jackie chan is the tuxedo and the drunken master and acctualy we used to try to immitate any movie that we watch do you remember when bill and teds excelant adventure came out dude!?

Joey said...

Wow! Of course I remember that one! I believe I got into a little trouble at school for writing a different line from Bill and Ted's EA on each homework assignment I turned in.

I think I recall us being big fans of Labrynth as well.

Isn't it great how much we love movies!?

I miss you, bro.