Wednesday, June 21, 2006

You Me a Phoenix Make Each Time We Touch

You me a phoenix make each time we touch.
From ash I rise and soar above the world.
You rise on me and guide my soul to such
A land unknown by souls. With wings unfurl’d

I feel the breeze that lifts my body’s flight,
And though it feels as soft as sight of dove,
I know, tucked deep inside the cave of night,
It’s not the sweet caressing of your love.

We, flying high above the land we’ve known,
See hills and streams we ne’er before have seen;
The water’s blue; the bright gray light of stone;
The waving fields by meadows’ new bright green.

We didn’t know these colors yesterday,
Or see these things we’ve seen here from our birth.
So high and fast it looks so far away.
We fall to touch and lie on our New Earth.

Now down below we ground our childish feet
And gaze up at the path we’ve always flown.
The sea-soaked sky and sun’s deep orange heat
All listen to the rook’s new golden tone.

We didn’t see that sky, not yesterday,
Or any gone before we two were nigh.
So low and slow it looks so far away.
We listen after seeing our New Sky.

The whispers of our praise dance on the wind.
Our perfect union’s hymn now nature’s song.
Discordant notes? No tone I dare to mend.
If this be Mother’s tune, may it be long!

I didn’t hear this music yesterday.
My deaf ears open’d at the sound of you.
So calm your psalm sweet carries me away
To lands, more lands I’ve been, but now are new.

You me a phoenix make each time we touch.
From ashes rise I now alive, and you,
You live with me and guide my soul to such
A land, your land, I’ve been, but now is new.
-jlm for kdm (6/21/06)

No comments: